Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Jury Duty, with lots of little details

I spent time online the night before my big jury assignment, planning the best way to get downtown at rush hour and determined that TRAX was my best option, even though it meant walking a couple of blocks from the nearest station. I looked forward to reading my book on the train and a leisurely walk in the quiet morning. I planned to leave home at 7:15, hopefully arriving at 10000 S. in time to catch the 7:15 train, but would still be on time if I made the 7:53 train.
The alarm clock blared early. I drug myself out of bed anyway and was ready and pulling out of the driveway at 7:18, three little minutes behind schedule. I could catch up if I hit the lights just right. Heading down 13400 S., I considered the possible routes to the station. I-15 would be crowded, it might be best to take Bangerter all the way to 11800… just then I glanced down at the dash. My van was full of gas. I’d filled it myself late last week. But I didn’t take my van. I left it for Nate in case he had to take the kids somewhere. His car was empty. At least that’s where the needle pointed. How empty was it really? I had no idea, and wasn’t about to take any chances. So I stopped for gas. Then one wrong decision after another left me stopping at a ton of red lights.
The train station parking lot was packed. I could see the train waiting there. I jumped out of the car and started walking toward the train. Then I ran. I looked ridiculous but whatever. I no longer had the time cushion I’d been planning on. I had no idea what they did to late jurors. Then the train left. It actually left! I debated chasing after it like you see in the movies. I stood there on the curb dumbfounded. Did I get back in my car and try to make it on the crowded freeway? There was absolutely no way I would be there on time. It didn’t matter what I did now. I might as well wait for the next train and prayed I wasn’t held in contempt of court or something. Worse… I didn’t want to have to go again the next day.
Have you ridden TRAX lately? I started to read my book, but it felt like the train was bouncing all over. I’d remembered such a smooth ride the other times I’ve ridden. Without my book as a distraction, I kept checking the time. The minutes rushed on by, like the scenery out the window. I don’t know what time it was when the train stopped at Gallivan, all I know is I practically flew out of my seat and onto the sidewalk. I speedwalked those two blocks and took the steps in the building two at a time. There were a bunch of people in the waiting area, but none of them looked official. I asked one of them if they had any idea where I needed to be for jury duty. A lady directed me to a room. I peaked in the window. They were watching a video in there. I was sure to make a grand entrance. The lady at the front gave me a nasty look as I stepped in the door and found a seat. After the video all about the glories about jury duty they called roll. Only my name wasn’t called. I panicked, thinking maybe was in the wrong place. Then I’d really be late to wherever it was I needed to go. She asked for my name. I was on her list afterall. I filled out a questionnaire, ate some taxpayer provided snacks, and received my $18.50 cash for my service. Then we moved in to the courtroom next door where the judge asked us all a bunch of questions. “These are the attorneys. These are the witnesses. Do any of you know any of these people? Do any of you have any close ties with law enforcement?” This was my opportunity. My hand goes up. “My husband spent the ten years working in law enforcement… No, it wouldn’t effect my ability to make a decision in this case… blah blah blah.” Following a quick potty break, the judge announced the 4-member jury. I wasn’t called. So that was it. The end of jury service. I walked out of the building at 10:30 am. I enjoyed my leisurely walk to the train station in the quiet morning. I read my book until the train began to bounce again. I stopped at the mall, the bank, and made it home in time for lunch.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

What a pain jury duty is... but didn't it feel good to be out without kids? :)

Amy said...

Hooray for Nate's work with law enforcement! Glad you made it and got your $ and didn't get arrested or something for being late.

Although, I remember in 9th grade when we acted out the justice system in our civics class, playing narcs and drug dealers with red hots, that I was offended I couldn't be on the jury duty because I had been a police officer in the moot game. I think jury duty in Mrs. Payne's class was probably more fun than the real thing.

Amanda said...

That read like a novel. Wow. I am so proud of you! Loved the details.

Lizz said...

I've never done it, but oddly, have always wanted to.