Sunday, October 19, 2008

What kids are seeing on department store TVs

I doubt this is new, but I just noticed it recently. As Nate and I browsed the electronics department at our local Wal Mart I glanced at the numerous TVs all playing the newly released DVD Iron Man. If you've seen this movie you probably enjoyed it, as I did, but I wouldn't find it appropriate for my young children who were with us at the time. Note that this movie is rated PG-13 for "some intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence, and brief suggestive content." View an online parents' guide here. Three weeks later, they were showing the latest Indiana Jones movie, rated PG-13 for "adventure violence and scary images." View an online parents' guide here.

I don't think this is okay and I'd like to do something about it.

I sent the following comment at this address.

"Why are you showing PG-13 movies in public viewing areas of your store? Twice in the last month I have shopped this store with my three young children and twice I have seen movies (Iron Man & Indiana Jones) being played on every TV in and around (several directly in the aisle) your electronics department which have been rated PG-13 for violence and scary images. There are scientific studies proving the negative effects of violent images on young children. These movies are NOT appropriate for young viewers, so I choose not to allow my children to see them. Let's protect our children from these things, not put them in plain sight. What are you going to do about this problem?"

If this concerns you, you may want to take a minute and send a comment as well. They will likely not see a need for change unless they hear from more than one customer.

2 comments:

Lizz said...

Just sent mine! Thanks for the research! I am too disturbed!

Unknown said...

Ha! It worked! I just got off the phone from a manager from our local wal-mart thanking me for the complaint and informing me that that particular wal-mart has decided as management they will no longer show pg-13 movies! He said from now on if one is seen it is because of an associate and to contact a member of the management. Yay!!!!!