Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What's in YOUR mailbox?

I love it when the mail arrives. I guess there isn't enough excitement in my day because I really want to run out to the box the minute I hear the mail truck. Sometimes I jump the gun a little and run out after I've heard it, only to check my box and find it empty because the truck was actually on the opposite side of the street. I walk quickly back inside, hoping none of my neighbors have seen me and notice that I have nothing better to do than listen for the mail truck.
Well, I received an unfortunate piece of mail this week... jury summons. Four years ago I received my first summons and I was actually a little excited. Once upon a time I wanted to be a lawyer when I grew up. I've always been facinated with the court system and feel like my opinions are terribly important. I was nursing Logan at the time, so I requested to be excused until I was through. I figured they would forget all about me, but no... I received another summons the first day I had said I'd be available again. I had no more excuses, so I had to phone in every day for an entire week, wondering what in the world I'd do with my two kids and piano lessons if they told me I had to come in. I'm sure I didn't sleep well as I never do when there are huge unknowns in my life, but the week went by and I never had to make my appearance.
They sent me another summons at the beginning of last summer. I said I was expecting a baby and would have to be excused... again. So this week I received yet another summons (if you're keeping track, that's FOUR summons in as many years) and I told them again that I'm nursing a baby and will have to be excused until September. I think once August is over I won't be running to the mailbox anymore. This time I have three kids to arrange babysitting for and their $18 pay won't even reimburse me for the gas it'll cost me to get to court.

3 comments:

Rusti said...

My goodness that's a lot! I've never been summoned for jury duty. Someone really wants you there. ;)

Amanda said...

It's just "The Universe" telling you that you should still be doing that lawyer thing!! I guess I'll be more cautious getting my mail, too!

Lizz said...

...is it weird that I want to be summoned?