Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Beware of Birds

It's nest building season. Pretty little birds are gathering twigs and grass to create a home for their little ones. With ten trees and several bushes large enough to hold nests, it's surprising that we haven't found more nests in our yard. The only one we've had was in a butterfly bush just outside our kitchen window a couple of summers ago. So, you'd think I'd have been excited when I saw a bird with a twig in its beak pass by my kitchen window. Instead, I quickly stopped what I was doing and ran out to investigate. It all started about a week ago. Nate went out to fire up the grill to barbecue some pork chops. When he opened up the lid he found a pile of grass and twigs on the rack. When he asked me who might have done it, I immediately thought of Jade. Since we don't have a swing set, trampoline, swimming pool, slides, playhouse, etc., our deprived children are left using their imaginations to keep themselves entertained out there. I figured this was one of her games. Upon further investigation, however, Nate discovered bird poop on the concrete next to the BBQ and even along the inside edge. Too bad we'd already accused Jade. She sounded quite shocked and quickly denied it. When I opened the lid today I literally yelled. I cannot believe the mess those "pretty little birds" have made of our grill! It was packed so tightly they must've been about finished. I'm sad for them to have to start over, but come on! We have ten trees in our yard... TEN!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That same thing happened to us. I kept getting after Jason for not putting the cover on the BBQ after he was done using it. Needless to say he almost always remembers now. He doesn't want the birds making a nest in his new grill.

Steph said...

I am sorry Jaynan, that made me laugh. You do have plenty of trees in your yard, however, they are not as great of a cover as a lid to a grill. Poor Jade too, lol. I have accused Ali of things also, and find out that she really didn't do it. Oh what fun, huh.

Michelle said...

I'm waiting for the picture to be posted! Did Nate just die when he saw the picture?

Rusti said...

That is crazy! How did they get inside? Was it open? It's a bummer to have to deal with the mess, that's for sure.

Amanda said...

I have actually heard of that happening! How Funny!