Sunday, February 3, 2008

Buried



Whenever we've received a new layer of snow overnight, Logan comes running in first thing to let us know. I usually jump right up to check it out, especially when we'll be going somewhere. There's something so exciting about waking up to a world that looks so different than it did when you went to sleep. This morning we woke up to drifts of snow 2 feet deep! When our neighbor, who is in the bishopric, was unable to make it out of his driveway for his morning meetings, they decided to cancel church for the day. So we spent the morning oohing and aahing at all the fun drifts around the house and hanging out as a family. The sun came out long enough to allow for some shoveling and for Nate to feel confident about the roads on the way to a Superbowl party at a co-worker's house. Now it's blowing and snowing again. I hope he's able to make it home! This would have been a good winter for 4-wheel drive... and a good snowblower!

On Thursday, Logan, Aeris, and I enjoyed a preschool field trip to the Museum of Ancient Life at Thanksgiving Point. He loved burying dinosaurs at the erosion table and listening to the dinosaur sounds around the gigantic skeletons. "Those are ghosts." He said, quite matter-of-factly. In the car on the way home I asked him what he liked best about the museum. He said "eating sandwiches." Is that typical for my kids or what? Their first focus is always the food!
We enjoyed watching dear President Hinckley's funeral on Saturday. The final musical number, "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need" arrangement by Mack Wilberg, is one I sang as part of a stake choir a couple of years ago. What a powerful piece of music! I couldn't contain the overflow of emotions when I sang it then. Listening to it while watching the footage of that sweet man... Wow! I bawled and bawled. I had the amazing opportunity to be in close proximity with him only once, as he arrived in the Conference Center for The Light of the World production back in 2002. The spirit washed over me in a way I've never experienced before or since. I'll miss him so much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

4 wheel drive wouldn't have helped in this storm. The Bishop got stuck in his 4 wheel drive truck trying to get to the church. Pretty crazy. I laughed out loud about Logan's favorite part of the museum! He is so funny! See you tomorrow for the kids haircuts.

Amy said...

I can't believe it! We must have been in the ONLY WARD who didn't cancel church. My sister, the kids my son carpools with, and even my yoga instructor who lives in the SAME CITY as me--they all had church canceled. I wonder why we had to go. It was horrible driving, and I was in 4 wheel drive the whole way!

Amanda said...

What cute pictures!! I loved the ghost comment!! So we'll have to go to open play- it's on Wed. and Fri. at Backyard Adventures from 10-12 I think! Thank goodness your family is well again- what a month January was!