Monday, December 17, 2007

Frozen Solid... Christmas Memories #6

As kids we were always thrilled to hear my mom tell stories about the frigid temperatures in Canada in the wintertime, though we figured they were somewhat exaggerated so as to make us more grateful for our warmer climate. We visited the great land in the north nearly every summer to see my mom's family, but didn't travel there in the winter until I was sixteen. It was the only Christmas we spent away from home. For the most part it was much like the other trips to Canada, but the thing that has stuck in my memory after all these years is the freezing cold.
When I tried to use my camera outside the film wouldn't wind.
We had to trap a heat lamp under the hood of the car so the engine would start in the morning.
When my sister and I walked down Main street we had to step into every shop to thaw.
Whenever I'm feeling cold outside I remember that real cold means the snot in your nose freezes every time you breathe.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

The first blog post of the day with the word "snot" in it! :) No, really, it's been so long since I've shot film that your comment about the film not winding brought back such memories. I miss the smell of film. I miss keeping it in my fridge. But I like instant gratification with digital, so I'll just remember film fondly, I guess.

Steph said...

I have been that cold too. Nostrils frozen together.

Taralee said...

Oh, too funny. You help me relive my memories too. I very clearly remember the film not winding issue.

Anonymous said...

Just thought you would get a laugh that we have been that cold up here for the last 2 days. It is really snot freezing numbingly cold. It made me think of your blog.