Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Big Announcement... Christmas Memories #5

I love surprises, both as the recipient and as the presenter. When I discovered I was pregnant last fall I was thrilled with the timing. I knew my belly would hardly be showing by Christmas, so I could wait until the big day to share the news with our family. I had Jade draw a picture of our family at Christmas 2007, with Dad, Mom, Jade, Logan, and Baby. Jade, being the obedient child that she is, drew what I told her. It wasn't until she had finished the second copy of the picture that she asked, "Why did you want me to draw a baby? We don't have a baby." "Well, maybe by next Christmas we will." She looked at me and shrugged, "Oh, okay." and that was that. Then we sealed it in an envelope and gave it along with the gifts we exchanged. The reaction was priceless. My mom opened the letter, looked at the picture and laughed, "Are you making an announcement?" When I said yes, she about fell out of her chair. The reaction with Nate's family was equally fun. Jade had nearly run out of space on the picture when she got to the baby, so the word was a little hard to read. Nate's dad looked at it and asked, "Who's Bobby?" Jade, looking offended, said, "No! It says BABY!" I believe Nate's brother who was on a mission at the time was even on the phone when they found out. It was all so much more exciting than the ordinary telephone call announcement we had made the other two times. It certainly made for a Christmas I will never forget.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great Christmas memory!! Thanks for sharing them. Love, Trina

Michelle said...

I love how you announced your pregnancy! That is such a great way! I always have a hard time waiting to tell my family- I end up just calling them!

Steph said...

FUNNY!!

Shannon said...

That a priceless story. I recall how much you were looking forward to letting people know your news! Such a sweet idea. And I must say that your baby Aeris is a darling addition to your families picture!