Monday, September 17, 2007

Piano Lessons


Jade came to her first piano lesson two weeks ago. She has been so excited to start for quite some time, but from what I've seen with my other students, they learn much quicker when they're a little older. I also wanted her to be able to practice independently. So far, it's been perfect! She listened well and then spent a TON of time at the piano all week. She even learned the next song in the book all by herself. We've now had three lessons and she's really taking off. She's willing to count out loud and play with the metronome... two things that are so important in music, but most students really complain about.

It's been difficult getting back into the groove of teaching lessons after having nearly six weeks off, but we're making it work. Jade doesn't mind my lesson time because it means she gets to watch TV for the first time all day. Logan has never been very interested in TV, so he just sees it as "Mom is busy time" and comes out to bug me like he does when I'm trying to use the phone. Jade is a big help though in keeping him entertained. Mostly, I just feel guilty when Aeris gets hungry early and I'm still teaching. Nothing else will soothe her and she doesn't understand why she has to wait. I think she can sense when I'm feeling stressed out too, which makes it harder for her to relax. We've made it through two weeks though and the second week was better than the first. I'm just grateful that I can work from home. I'll never forget how hard it was leaving Jade the day I went back to teaching school when she was six weeks old.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I just wrote this comment and my computer freaked out when I tried to publish it. So here we go again.... I LOVE that picture of Jade! She looks so proud to be at the piano! We sure love having your kids over. We'll keep trying to do it during piano :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like she is going to be a fabulous pianist!