Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Socializing With Kids

I love the social events of the Christmas season. We mark up our calendar with party plans all month long. Well you’ve heard the scripture (Eccl. 3:1) “To every thing there is a season, and a time...” I’ve decided this just may not be the time and season for me to enjoy all these get-togethers. If you notice my absence at an event, here’s the explanation.

Last night was our 3rd annual “Open Garage Party.” Some neighbors and I coordinated our efforts to start a tradition where instead of taking around neighbor gifts we bring a food bank donation, a treat to share and visit in someone’s garage. My kids have been talking about it for weeks. Of course, our first real snow storm of the winter decided to happen yesterday. Since the party was only 6 houses away, we walked. Aeris wasn’t at all happy being bundled up, but once the stroller started moving she was fine. Once we arrived, Jade and Logan immediately headed for the treat table (of course!). Aeris started to fuss. I took her out of her snow clothes, but she continued to fuss. I shooed Jade & Logan out the door to play in the snow rather than eat themselves sick. I tried to converse with the neighbors, but Aeris cried harder and harder. She’d had dinner, a good nap, and a diaper change before we left. Was she too cold, too hot? I had no idea. In the mean time, Jade and Logan kept coming back in saying they were cold. Logan didn’t have on snow pants since the pair he wore last year is too small and I haven’t dug out the bigger size from the basement yet. They both opted for knit gloves instead of waterproof mittens because they could put them on without help from me. Their hands were frozen. So after spending 30 minutes getting dressed and ready, and another 5 walking over, we left after 20 minutes. Logan screamed the whole way home because he was wet and freezing. They stripped in the garage and headed to the tub. I spent the next 20 minutes sorting/hanging their wet clothes and putting some into the washer. Once I had Aeris back at home she didn’t cry once. Unfortunately this isn’t an isolated event. She had acted the same way at our church Christmas party.

I have these visions of attending holiday parties where the kids play and enjoy treats in moderation and I chat with my friends. The reality is my kids are attracted like magnets to any food at a party, especially anything with sugar in it. I distract them with other activities, but they just can’t stay away, so minutes later they’re back. Because of this, I spend parties hovering at the food table so I can turn them around every time they head over. Since Aeris isn’t walking, I can’t put her down because she’ll be trampled by the crowds. Instead I hold her in my arms, squirming and fussing because she gets overwhelmed easily in large groups. I can’t manage much of a conversation because I’m constantly focused on how far Jade and Logan are from the food and because Aeris is crying in my ear.

Someday. Someday.

Opportunities to socialize with my friends will come again, but my children are growing older by the second. For now I cherish that they still feel the magic of Christmas, even if most of that magic comes in the form of cookies. I’m glad Aeris still prefers to be at home. Those times will be gone very soon and I’ll wish I had them back when they are.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I've had parties like that. Things will improve as they get older. But I feel your pain.

check out Kirk as Santa on our blog, can you beleive I talked him into that?

Shannon said...

I can relate to that. Next year will be better, and so will the next. As I have watched and listened to Sam this year I have realized that much too soon, his Christmas will change from this sweet, magical childhood wonderland. I just want to hold on to his innocence of youth for always. I love what Christmas has become to me... watching and enjoying my little ones caught up in magic of it all.