Thursday, July 3, 2008

Paying for Baby

I took the kids to Classic to ride the waterslides today. I want to be sure to get my money's worth out of our summer fun passes. (For those of you who aren't aware... you pay $10 per person for the pass and then only $1 for each activity for the rest of the summer. Since the waterslides are $7, you already have a better deal with the pass if you only go twice.) It was our first time at the waterslides. Last time we skated. I didn't have to pay for myself since I wouldn't be participating in the activity. I had Aeris with me, but didn't even ask about her. Duh... she's a baby. She wouldn't be skating, right? Well today I let a couple of people go in front of me in line while I dug the passes out of the bag of gear and then had plenty of time to read the many signs concerning the rates, rules, etc. With their passes, Jade and Logan did indeed get to slide for only $1. If I wanted to accompany Logan down the 4 bigger slides (he's definitely NOT big enough to slide alone... though I did not see any age requirements for sliding alone) I had to pay $7 for myself. Since I plan to bring them again I purchased a pass for myself too. Then I asked the cashier about the "spectator" policy. The sign clearly stated that "all non-swimsuit wearing spectators, regardless of age pay $2." So that means my baby, who isn't walking, crawling, wasn't wearing a swimsuit and so would not be swimming AT ALL, could only come through the doors if I paid $2 for her. If she had been a week old I would have had to pay $2 for her. If I'd wanted to dip her feet into the pool water I'd have to pay $7 for her. Is it just me or does this seem ridiculous? The kids had a ball today, so we'll be back regardless, but I really don't want to pay $2 for Aeris to sit in a stroller on the side and I'm certainly not going to pay $7 for her to splash in the kiddie pool. I plan to write a letter addressed to the GM or maybe even the owner. Babies who are less than 1 year should be free if they're not using the water. They should have a reduced rate for them to swim since they will only be using the kiddie area. If they get several letters, maybe they'll change the policy.

3 comments:

Rusti said...

I agree, that's pretty ridiculous!

Steph said...

I have found that a lot of places charge a small fee for dumb things like that. Looks like you guys are enjoying the summer! :)

Shannon said...

I guess they are trying to squeeze in a profit however they can. I agree with you, under one-year should certainly be free. Several children's amenities, such as the museums, charge after the first birthday. I would expect a waterpark to pattern its policies after that same age break.