Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Floating Eggs

Jade completed another science fair project last month. I'm just now writing the post because everytime I thought about taking a picture of her with the board, she was in her pajamas. I must have thought about it a dozen times. That kid spends an awful lot of time in her pajamas! Actually, it's just that the only time of day when I start to remember what I need to do is when the day is ending. Of course by then we're all in pajamas.

Anyway. About the project. I found this idea both on the internet and in a book. I loved that it would be fast and the results easy to see. Jade loves anything hands on. We lined up 5 cups of water. We added salt, sugar, flour, and oil to four cups. We left one as just plain water. Then she hypothesized, would a raw egg float in any of the cups. Then she delicately used a spoon to place a raw egg into each cup. She wrote down observations and we talked about why it happened the way it did.

I called it a success and couldn't wait to go with her to school the next day to see what her classmates had done for their projects. Last year, even though it's optional for 1st and 2nd grades, nearly all the class participated. This year she was one of only four kids who came with projects. FOUR KIDS! I can't believe so many parents would miss this opportunity! We already have a project planned for next year's fair!

7 comments:

Shannon said...

What a smart little chick! And a fun project. I am curious to find out the results, Jade. What happened?

Michelle said...

Thanks to your ideas you gave me... we will be doing a science fair project. It looks like ours is not until the end of the year.

Jenn said...

I would be one of the parents who would avoiding doing the project! I laughed when you said "miss the opportunity". Science isn't my thing, but you just gave me a great idea for the future:)

Ashley said...

Good work! It's fun to watch them grow up and do projects for school

Amanda said...

It's so great to document all the hard work- I will totally be calling you when it's our turn... I can't say I enjoyed science fairs... sad!

Lizz said...

Fun! I didn't even hear about a science fair! Your excitement is contagious, I would normally be the "take the low road" on science fair stuff, but next time I hear about something like this, I will "Take the oportunity!" Thanks!

probst said...

Can't believe we found you. It seems several schools have science projects going now. Kara's 10 year old won 1st in her class and gets to go to state. Its fun to do those projects even if its work. Marjorie