Sunday, August 17, 2008

I Love To Laugh...

at myself! This spring we pulled out some struggling bushes from a flower bed in front of our house. The ones we put in their place haven't been thriving either. I decided I needed to be better about watering them. I turned the hose to barely dripping and placed it at the base of one of the bushes. Then I forgot about it. The next morning I was outside when Jade's carpool arrived to pick her up. Waving at her as the van drove down the street, I glanced at the flower bed. This is what I saw:


My hose was still dripping away of course. After confirming that it was really a sinkhole with the bush safely inside, and not a "bush napping" I had a good laugh at my own idiocy.

Then I jumped into action. Frantically, I shut off the hose, grabbed a shovel to dig out my little plant before trying to fill in the hole, all the while crossing my fingers that I haven't created a bigger problem by putting huge amounts of pressure on some sprinkler pipes under the bed. So far so good on that one. The sprinklers have come on twice without any pipes exploding beneath the surface. I'm glad Home Depot offers a guarantee on the survival of their plants within a year. I'm not sure these can be saved, expecially now that I'm afraid to water them.

3 comments:

Jared,Tamara +Kylie Morgan said...

Ha... that's pretty funny! Especially when you first thought about a potential bush-napper. I hope your little bush recovers well!

Amanda said...

Ohh! That's a crack up! Something I would do for sure...

House of Mellor said...

That is so funny Jaynan. I once left my sprinkler on and fell asleep, my grass was so green and I noticed my next door neighbor started watering more.