Sunday, October 11, 2009

This post is for the AMAZING inventor of flu mist

Whenever we talk about our favorite seasons with our kids and someone brings up fall, the color drains from Jade's face. "I don't like fall." she says.
"Why not? Your birthday is in the fall." we remind her.
"Yeah, I know. And I like that. But I can't stand flu shots." At this point she talks on and on about why shots make her miserable. We, of course, then explain why shots are good for us.

I have several great flu shot stories to tell about Jade. Last year's took place the first week in November and I wrote about it on this blog. My favorite story to tell though is the year I took her up to a clinic at Nate's workplace. I told Jade nothing about why we were there. We waited in line for 45 minutes or so. When we reached the front she began to pay attention to what happened there. I completely avoided her questions. Finally it was her turn. She took one look at the lady at the table, then at me, and took off running. Some nice bystander kept a hold of Logan for me while I attempted to round her up. I brought her back kicking and screaming. Apparently we made such a scene that Nate's co-workers all went back to work to tell him about his daughter's performance.

We went last Monday for this year's shot. I brought along reinforcments, since I had learned the hard way that year at the clinic not to try it alone. I figured between the nurse, my mom, and me, we should be able to hold her down long enough for the poke. But, I have no story to tell because all three kids got flu mist this year. Jade's eyes brimmed over with tears just for a second and then it was over. No Pain = No dramatics. WOW! Maybe now she won't dread fall.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

We did the flu mist this year, too! LOVED IT! I usually don't do flu shots because I can't make my kids go through the anxiety of a shot every year. Thank you flu mist! I can remember you telling me these stories of Jade! Poor kid- but it is funny to read about :) I'll be posting with a pic of Ella in a little bit.